The VRQA is responsible for regulating apprenticeships and traineeships in Victoria, specifically for:
- determining the terms of training contracts
- determining who can be parties to training contracts
- approving training contracts, and approving their cancellation, suspension or amendment
- approving employers before they employ an apprentice
- determining approved training schemes.
If any issues related to the above are referred to the VRQA, the authority must inquire further. The VRQA may:
- cancel, suspend or vary a training contract
- order all or any parties to a training contract to perform an obligation related to the training contract
- make orders in relation to the training contract.
The VRQA's responsibilities are regulated under the
Education and Training Reform Act 2006.