You can suspend your apprenticeship training contract for a fixed period of time. The duration of the suspension will vary depending on the reason for the suspension.
Reasons might include:
- a shortage of work (suspension may be granted for three-month periods)
- illness or injury (whether or not it is work-related)
- travel overseas
- maternity leave
- other reasons.
Contact the VRQA for any query relating to the duration of suspension.
How to suspend your apprenticeship
- First, discuss it with your employer and reach agreement.
- With your employer, complete the Application for Approval to Suspend a Training Contract form (doc - 89kb)
- Submit the completed form to your Apprenticeship Network Provider.