Other Complaints Agencies

Complaints about refunds, fees and charges

Consumer Affairs Victoria
Helpline: 1300 55 81 81
Email Consumer Affairs
Website: www.consumer.vic.gov.au/

Complaints about school teachers

The Victorian Institute of Teaching investigates complaints about school teachers, including teachers in Catholic and independent schools.

Victorian Institute of Teaching
Phone: 1300 888 067
Email Victorian Institute of Teaching
Website: www.vit.vic.edu.au/

Complaints about employment issues

The Fair Work Ombudsman can provide advice on staff entitlements and other workplace issues.

Fair Work Ombudsman
Phone: 13 13 94
Website: www.fairwork.gov.au

Complaints alleging occupational health and safety breaches

WorkSafe Advisory Service
Phone: (03) 9641 1444 or 1800 136 089 (toll free)
Email: WorkSafe
Website: www.worksafe.vic.gov.au

Complaints alleging discrimination and racial or religious vilification

Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission
Phone: 1300 292 153
Email: complaints@veohrc.vic.gov.au
Website: www.humanrightscommission.vic.gov.au

Complaints about registered training organisations (RTOs)

The VRQA investigates complaints about potential breaches of registration standards for VRQA-registered RTOs. Search Training.gov.au to identify which of the following authorities is responsible for handling complaints about other RTOs.

Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA)

Phone: 1300 701 801

Enquiry form
Website: www.asqa.gov.au

Training Accreditation Council (Western Australia)
Phone: (08) 9441 1910
Website: www.tac.wa.gov.au

Complaints about government schools

For complaints about government schools, see Parent complaints on the Department of Education and Training (DET) website.

For the contact details of DET regional offices, see Regions on DET website.

Complaints about Catholic schools

If you are not satisfied with the outcome of a complaint made directly to the school, you can then contact the respective diocese to make a complaint. Details of regional dioceses are below:

Archdiocese of Melbourne (Melbourne and Geelong)
Phone: (03) 9267 0228

Ballarat Diocese (Ballarat, Horsham, Mildura, Warrnambool)
Phone: (03) 5337 7135

Sandhurst Diocese (Bendigo and Wangaratta)
Phone: (03) 5443 2377

Sale Diocese (Warragul)
Phone: (03) 5622 6600

Catholic Education Commission of Victoria - Handbooks for parents

Complaints from overseas students

Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA)
Enquiry form
Website: www.asqa.gov.au

Overseas Students Ombudsman
Helpline: 1300 362 072 within Australia. Outside Australia call +61 2 6276 0111
Overseas Students Ombudsman contact us page
Website: Overseas Students Ombudsman

The Commonwealth Department of Education and Training​ handles some types of complaints from overseas students.

Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS)
Helpline: (02) 6240 5069
ESOS Enquiry Form
Website: Education Services for Overseas Students

Complaints about the VRQA or other government agencies

The VRQA would like to hear any complaint you may have. You can complain to the Ombudsman if you are unhappy about a complaint decision the VRQA has made.

Ombudsman Victoria
Phone: (03) 9613 6222, 1800 806 314 (regional)
Email Ombudsman Victoria
Website: www.ombudsman.vic.gov.au

Victorian Public Sector Commissioner
Phone: (03) 9651 1321
Emai: info@vpsc.vic.gov.au
Website: vpsc.vic.gov.au

Office of the Commissioner for Privacy and Data Protection
The Office of the Commissioner for Privacy and Data Protection handles complaints about the way government agencies handle personal information.

Phone: 1300 666 444
Email Privacy and Data Protection Victoria
Website: www.privacy.vic.gov.au