The Victorian Auditor-General’s Office (VAGO) has released its report into Apprenticeship and Traineeship Completion.
The report assesses the extent to which the relevant funding, policy, administrative and regulatory arrangements support the completion of apprenticeships and traineeships in Victoria.
The report identifies that regulation has an important role to play in supporting completion of apprenticeships and traineeships.
Relevant findings for the VRQA include that:
- upon assuming full responsibility for regulating apprenticeships and traineeships the VRQA has promptly identified and moved to respond to regulatory risks
- several issues impact on the effective regulation of apprenticeships and traineeships including: data management practices; an absence of formal agreements with other agencies engaged in administration of apprenticeships and traineeships; and the level of information and guidance available to apprentices, trainees, employers and stakeholders about the regulation of apprenticeships and traineeships.
The Auditor-General noted in the report that the VRQA has been proactive in identifying and acting on risks and issues associated with regulation of apprenticeships and traineeships.
VAGO has recommended that the VRQA:
- work with the Department of Education and Early Childhood Development (DEECD) in order to develop a database to replace the current DELTA system
- provide information and guidance to apprentices, trainees, employers and stakeholders about the regulation of apprenticeships and traineeships
- develop Memoranda of Understanding with agencies involved in the provision of information and services to participants in the system of apprenticeships and traineeships in Victoria
- develop a more robust employer approval process including a strengthened determination of employers as fit and proper
- analyse data collected in the course of regulatory field services activities to inform policy and program development.
The VRQA Board has accepted all recommendations made by VAGO and will work with stakeholders, including DEECD, in implementing the recommendations.
For more information see the VAGO report: Apprenticeship and Traineeship Completion.