CRICOS Registration

This web page contains information about providing courses to overseas students in Victoria by schools and non senior secondary providers.

Prior to providing education to overseas students, an organisation must first be registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) for the course for the state or territory in which delivery will occur.

The VRQA manages registration and quality assurance arrangements for certain providers of education services to overseas students in Victoria. This includes approving schools for registration on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS).

The VRQA is also responsible for the regulation of senior secondary programs in a non-school setting, English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS) and Foundation programs delivered by a registered school.

CRICOS registration

CRICOS is a register of Australian education institutions that recruit, enrol and teach overseas students. CRICOS registration allows providers to offer courses to overseas students studying in Australia on student visas.

Registered schools seeking CRICOS approval must comply with the requirements of:

Providing education or training to overseas students in schools and non-school senior secondary settings in Victoria involves a two-step approval and registration process.

Schools and non-school senior secondary providers in Victoria must apply to the VRQA for approval to deliver courses to overseas students. Approval may be granted by the VRQA (under the Education and Training Reform Act 2006) for a period of up to five years.

Schools and non-school senior secondary providers seeking approval for registration on CRICOS will also be assessed against the VRQA Guidelines on Homestay Accommodation for Overseas Students - Minimum Age 13 and the VRQA Guideline on the Provision of VCAL Courses to Overseas Students (if applicable) and any other guidelines issued by the VRQA. The VRQA may also consider the suitability of the course for overseas students and any other matters relating to the management or operations of the school.

If approved, the VRQA will recommend to the Commonwealth Department of Education and Training that it register a school or non-school senior secondary provider and its course(s) on CRICOS only when it is satisfied that the school and its course(s) fully comply with the requirements for approval. The school or non-school senior secondary provider can only offer a course(s) of study to overseas students once it and the course(s) are registered on CRICOS.

Schools registered on CRICOS are required to use an online student management system called the Provider Registration and International Student Management System (PRISMS). Access to PRISMS is given by the Commonwealth Department of Education and Training once a provider is registered on CRICOS.

PRISMS is used to generate an electronic Confirmations of Enrolment for student visa purposes, and to provide reports to the Department of Immigration and Border Protection on students' compliance with conditions of their visas.

For more information see: Applying to provide courses to overseas students (CRICOS registration).

Registration on CRICOS to provide a specified course to overseas students 

Only suitable courses which can be undertaken on a full-time basis may be registered on CRICOS. Approved courses may include ‘award’ courses recognised under the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF), and ‘non award’ courses.

AQF award courses include senior secondary certificates of education, Certificates I–IV, Diploma, Advanced Diploma, Vocational Graduate Certificates and Diplomas, Associate Degrees, Bachelor Degrees, Graduate Certificates and Diplomas, Masters and Doctoral degrees.

Non AQF award courses include some school sector programs, Foundation Programs and ELICOS. There are special requirements involved in registering these courses.