Senior Secondary Education

Senior secondary education can be delivered in a school or a non-school setting.


A school must be registered as a senior secondary provider in order to deliver one or more of the following senior secondary qualifications:

  • Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE)
  • Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning (VCAL)
  • International Baccalaureate Diploma (IB Diploma).

To find out whether you need to register directly with the VRQA, the Department of Education and Training or the Catholic Education Commission of Victoria, see: Contacts for providers seeking registration.

To find out more about how to become a registered school with the VRQA, see: Preparing to apply for school registration.

Schools applying for registration to provide senior secondary education must demonstrate the capacity to comply with the minimum standards and other requirements for school registration.

Schools applying to offer a senior secondary qualification must also meet the minimum standards for registration to provide an accredited senior secondary course (Schedule 8 Education and Training Reform Regulations 2017).

For more information see:

Non-school providers

For registered training organisations, Adult Community and Further Education providers or TAFE Institutes wishing to provide a senior secondary course or qualification, see: Senior secondary education: non-school settings