Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Vocational Education and Training (VET) Registration

The VRQA is responsible for registering and regulating organisations in Victoria that wish to offer VET qualifications and courses to domestic students in Victoria only, or in Victoria and Western Australia only. These organisations are known as registered training organisations (RTOs).

For information about VET course accreditation see course accreditation.

Changes to the VRQA Guidelines for VET Providers

The VRQA Guidelines for VET Providers have changed.

The 2016 VRQA Guidelines for VET Providers (docx - 206.95kb)  have been developed to reduce the regulatory gaps between Victoria’s and the national RTO standards.

Some Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) have also been developed to assist RTOs with the guidelines.

New applications for RTO registration must demonstrate compliance from 1 January 2016, and existing RTOs by 1 April 2016.

We have also compiled a glossary to help you understand the terms used on this  website.

In this section

RTOs and prospective RTOs can use this section of the website to find out:

Providing VET to international students and/or operating interstate

If you wish to provide VET to international students or operate in states and territories other than Victoria alone, or Victoria and Western Australia only, you will need to apply for registration through the Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA).

For more information see: Transferring registration to ASQA.

Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the VRQA, ASQA and the Training Accreditation Council (TAC) of Western Australia

The MoU clarifies undertakings by the three regulators to:
  • exchange data and information
  • ensure the efficient and effective regulation of VET
  • co-ordinate the transfer of registration of training providers as required by Commonwealth or state legislation.

For more information see: Collaborative regulation of vocational education and training (pdf - 1.81mb)