Mandatory VET Activity Reporting Requirements
The Standards for registration include a requirement that all registered training organisations (RTOs) must collect and report full Australian Vocational Education and Training Management Information Statistical Standard (AVETMISS) data in accordance with the National VET Provider Collection Data Requirements Policy (docx - 124.51kb) (the Policy). This includes data on all qualifications and statements of attainment, issued under the Australian Qualifications Framework (nationally recognised training), and applies to both funded and non-funded activity.
The Policy outlines the requirements on RTOs in collecting and reporting their nationally recognised training to the National VET Provider Collection which is managed by the National Centre for Vocational Education Research (NCVER).
The NCVER website provides further information in relation to collection of this data and provides support materials to assist RTOs.
Unique Student Identifier (USI) Scheme
From 1 January 2015, under the Student Identifiers Act 2014, an RTO is required to have a valid and verified USI for each of your students before you issue a qualification or statement of attainment to that student.
The new Unique Student Identifier (USI) scheme is underpinned by the Student Identifiers Act 2014, Standards for RTOs and Student Identifiers Regulation 2014 and these require that an RTO:
- Collects a USI from each student
- Verifies a USI supplied by a student (evidence is required of verification)
- Ensures a student has a valid USI before conferring a qualification or statement of attainment on that student
- Ensures the security of USIs and related documentation
- Destroys any personal information which you collected solely for the purpose of applying for a USI on behalf of a student
- Adheres to all legislative requirements under the USI legislative requirements
Exemptions from the USI
The Industry and Skills Council of Ministers has determined a range of exemptions from the USI scheme. Where an exemption applies, an RTO will be able to issue VET qualifications or statements of attainment to students who do not have a USI. They will not be required to include a USI in respect of those students in any submission of AVETMISS compliant data to the National VET Provider Collection.
For more information see: Exemptions.