Combining school and home education

​​​​​It is possible to combine school and home education by enrolling your child at a registered school for specific learning opportunities. This is called partial enrolment.

You can partially enrol your child when you first register them for home education or at any point after.

There is no option to partially register for home education. Registration is issued in full.

How to partially enrol your child

You can approach a school to teach your child certain subjects or activities such as sport, language or to sit the National Assessment Program — Literacy and Numeracy (NAPLAN).

You will need to make arrangements directly with a school principal. Partial enrolment is at the discretion of the ​principal, and the VRQA cannot intervene if a principal does not support your application.

The Department of Education has developed partial enrolment guidelines which are available on their website.

For more information, see:

You should indicate on your learning plan what will be covered at school and what you will be covering at home.

Once you have finalised your child's partial enrolment, you must provide us with written evidence from the school principal. The department's partial enrolment guidelines have a template you can use as notice of intention to partially enrol your child.

Attach your written evidence to your application for home education, or send it to us separately:

Victorian Registration and Qualifications Authority
Home Schooling Officer
GPO Box 2317
Melbourne 3001