Guidelines for enrolling overseas students
The Guidelines for the Enrolment of Overseas Students Aged Under 18 commenced on 1 July 2018, replacing the Homestay Guidelines.
All schools that have full fee-paying students on student visas (subclass 500) must meet certain requirements for homestay accommodation.
A school must make all reasonable enquiries and be satisfied that the student will be at least 13 years of age at the time of commencing in homestay accommodation before:
- entering an agreement or arrangement for the provision of homestay accommodation to an international student; or
- issuing a Confirmation of Appropriate Accommodation Welfare (CAAW) form to the Department of Home Affairs in circumstances where homestay accommodation will be provided to an international student.
The Guidelines supplement and clarify the Commonwealth Department of Education and Training's National Code of Practice for Providers of Education and Training to Overseas Students 2018 (National Code) which commenced on 1 January 2018.
They also incorporate the Victorian Child Safe Standards.
Our fact sheet outlines what schools need to do to meet the minimum standards for enrolling international students aged under 18.
An Evidence guide is also available to help schools navigate the guidelines, clarifying which roles and functions schools can and cannot contract out.
To download a copy of the Guidelines, fact sheet or evidence guide, see:
Guidelines for VCAL courses to international students
Before your school or organisation can be approved to provide the Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning (VCAL) to international students, it must demonstrate that:
- students and parent/s of students aged under 18 years are provided with current and accurate information about the course including:
- up-to-date and accurate information on the outcomes for (domestic) students who have been enrolled in VCAL with the provider. The information should indicate the completion rates and pathways for students who complete the certificate, and those who do not complete
- the VCAL course will be provided in a manner consistent with the requirements of the relevant Department of Home Affairs student visa conditions that apply to international students.
Guidelines for overseas secondary student exchange organisations
For information regarding the approval of Overseas Secondary Student Exchange Organisations, see: