Our guidelines are intended to help schools get registered and stay registered. They detail the requirements of the minimum standards for the registration of schools (minimum standards) and other requirements under the Education and Training Reform Act 2006.
Important information: We have recently updated our guidelines which commenced on 1 January 2019, and we are phasing in throughout 2019.
For registered schools:
Registered schools must comply with the updated guidelines by 1 July 2019. Until then, schools must continue to comply with the:
For those applying for registration as a school:
Applicants seeking to register a new school must comply with the updated guidelines:
About the minimum standards for registration
The minimum standards and other requirements for registration are set out in:
- the Education and Training Reform Act 2006
- Schedule 4 of the Education and Training Reform Regulations 2017.
The Education and Training Reform Regulations 2017 replaced the Education and Training Reform Regulations 2007 on 25 June 2017. As a result, the guidelines were updated with changes that schools must comply with from 1 July 2018.
For an overview of these changes, see:
The minimum standards for registration relate to:
- School governance — democratic principles, structure, probity, philosophy and not-for-profit status democratic principles, structure, probity, philosophy and not-for-profit status
- Enrolment — student enrolment numbers, enrolment policy, register of enrolments
- Curriculum and student learning — curriculum framework, student learning outcomes, monitoring and reporting on students' performance
- Student Welfare — care, safety and welfare of students, discipline, attendance monitoring, attendance register
- Staff employment — teacher registration requirements, compliance with the Working with Children Act 2005
- School infrastructure — buildings, facilities and grounds, and educational facilities.
There are also specific requirements in relation to: