Determining scope of registration

What you need to know

The scope of a training organisation's registration consists of:

  • the list of training package qualifications, units of competency, or state accredited courses that the organisation is registered to deliver
  • the services offered — either training and assessment, or assessment only.

When applying for registration, you must specify the courses and qualifications you would like on your scope of registration, and demonstrate that you have the resources to deliver the services within that scope.

You will also need to make sure that you meet any relevant accreditation, copyright, approval and licensing requirements, as well as training package requirements for the courses and units of competency in your scope.

You are responsible for managing your scope of registration, including monitoring the status of units, courses and qualifications. This requirement is outlined in Condition 9 of the Australian Quality Training Framework's (AQTF), for more information see: 

Expiry dates for accredited courses and qualifications are published on the State Register and the national training register,

Once registered, you can apply to amend the scope of registration at any time.

For more information, see:

National training register

The national register is (TGA). It includes information on:

  • existing training organisations that offer accredited courses, training package qualifications and units.
  • training package, qualifications and units
  • accredited courses, including course and unit codes and titles
  • contacts for courses and details of copyright owners

Subscribe to TGA updates to stay up to date with the latest changes to training package qualifications, units of competency or accredited courses.

For more information, see:

Information about copyright

The Copyright Agency Ltd (CAL) manages the Australian Government's national education copying scheme, known as the Statutory Education Licence.

The licence allows registered training organisations (RTOs) to copy and share text and images without a copyright clearance, if it is for educational purposes.  

Without this licence you are generally not allowed to reproduce any third-party material from any source, other than where there is a direct licence or subscription in place, or permission has been granted by the creator of the work.

For information on how to apply for the licence, see:

The Victorian Department of Education and Training also develops VET accredited courses. Permission to add Department courses to your scope of registration is provided within the course documentation, which can be downloaded for free.

For more information, see:

For more details on how to apply for registration, see: